I’ve been drowning in paperwork lately and I love my home to look aesthetically pleasing so I’ll confess that I’m notorious for throwing things in cupboards when I tidy up so the surfaces look clean and lovely. Behind closed doors lurks a horrible cluttered mess that does my head in!! For a few months I’ve been thinking I need to get myself some help in this area but that inner voice kept saying ‘don’t be silly you can sort it out’. Well this week I took the plunge and hired the lovely Rebecca Mezzino from Clear Space Organising Services to visit my home for 3.5 hours. What a blessing! Why, oh why did I wait… she’s seen it all, you don’t need to be ashamed of your space – professional organisers are here to help you set up systems to have your house running smoothly.
Everyone’s situation is different so this is what we managed to work through in our session:
- Paperwork, we sorted and set up a new paperwork system that allows me to process paperwork daily in an efficient manner (and no losing those important bits of paper). This involved setting up my action filing system in the hallway (I call it my hallway hub!) where it is accessible and also discussing a reference filing system for paperwork that needs to be kept but has been processed.
- Walk through of home to look at our storage spaces and issues.
- Storage ideas and a plan for the playroom/kids room… we have two small bedrooms which our children have as their shared bedroom and the other is their playroom. The wardrobe in the playroom is cluttered with toys the kids don’t play with and can’t reach. Rebecca told me to reclaim the space above my eldest child’s height and use it to free up vital everyday storage in our living area – best advice!! She also gave me the concepts I need to teach my children how to clean up their mess and get them involved in the de-cluttering process.
- Living area storage – we have a large cabinet that is hiding a lot of mess and probably looks like it has much more in it than it does because it isn’t well organised. It holds all manner of things so I now have a plan of action for what should be in there, what should be moved out and what can be moved on. A fantastic concept for this space was thinking of this storage as our most precious real estate, if it isn’t being used and accessed regularly should it really be taking up valuable space in this area?
- Daily routines, we talked about routines for the children but also how it’s important for me to have my own morning routine.
If you’ve been considering getting a professional organiser into your home I can thoroughly recommend the experience… you will feel as though a weight has been lifted and you’ll have systems that you can start implementing straight away. Rebecca Mezzino of Clear Space Organising Services is a professional organiser in Adelaide, if you aren’t in Adelaide you will still find her Clear Space Facebook page a valuable resource for organising your home and she is also working on an iPad app for organising kids which I’m sure many readers will love!